Monday 28 April 2014

Seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary

Way back when I was studying my English poetry for the Leaving Cert, one of the phrases I most remember was my teacher talking about Patrick Kavanagh and his ability to see the extraordinary in the ordinary. Some fine examples of this are Canal Bank Walk and Inniskeen Road: July evening. Seeing the ordinary details and reveling in them was something that Kavanagh excelled at. Sometimes I feel that we don't take enough time to look around and marvel in the world that we are fortunate enough to live in.

It's the little things in life that can raise a day from a disaster to something that might improve: a steaming bowl of porridge on a cold morning, a cold pint with friends on a sunny summer day, a perfectly made mug of tea. The little things in life are all too often overlooked in our busy lives.

When I was living away, one of the simple things that would change my day was receiving post. I loved getting handwritten letters from people and still do. Often my Mam and sister Ciara would send me a little parcel that would contain Lyon's tea bags and some chocolate (Cadbury's does not taste as good anywhere as it does in Ireland) and I would pass a lovely evening with a big mug of tea, chocolate and a movie. The little things in life!

Sunset over Wakefield. Take from my kitchen window
So take a moment to look outside your window and see the beauty around you, see the rainbow instead of the rain, watch the birds or if like myself you are in the countryside with farms, watch the baby lambs leaping about.
Stephen's Green

No comments:

Post a Comment